Is gentlemanly behavior becoming something of the past? Do men still open doors, pull out chairs for women, and say please and thank you? What does it even mean to be a gentleman today, and are we grooming our young boys into gentlemen by teaching them gentlemanly behavior?
Being a gentleman is not only about following social norms and performing acts of chivalry, but it also involves developing manners and a mindset to inspire gentlemanly behavior.
In this article, you’ll discover:
- What does it mean to be a gentleman?
- What are the qualities of being a gentleman?
- The importance of being a gentleman in modern society
- How to be a perfect gentleman?
- The mindset of a gentleman
- How to dress like a gentleman?
- How does a gentleman treat a woman?
While some links are affiliate links, there is no additional charge to you. If you make a purchase, I make a commission. Please know that I will only affiliate myself with products and services I believe in.
What does it mean to be a gentleman?
We all have our own image and meaning of what a gentleman looks like and how he should behave. But what does it really mean to be a gentleman? According to Britannica.com, “gentleman, in English history, a man entitled to bear arms but not included in the nobility. In its original and strict sense the term denoted a man of good family, deriving from the Latin word gentilis and invariably translated in English-Latin documents as generous.”
The concept has evolved, and if you want to be known as a gentleman today, you must conduct yourself with respect, courtesy, and consideration toward others, especially women.
What are the qualities of being a gentleman?
A gentleman is easy to spot. We know the traits of a gentleman when we see them. To be seen and thought of as a gentleman, there are certain qualities you will want to possess. Mastering these qualities will help you stand apart from other men.
Here are some qualities of gentlemanly behavior:
The importance of being a gentleman in modern society
In today’s society, where just about any and everything goes, gentlemanly behavior is fast becoming an extinct quality. We must save this rare breed of men. Being a gentleman means you lead by example for other men, especially the younger generation. The importance of being a gentleman in modern society will lead to a more positive society where people treat each other with respect and consideration.
How to be a perfect gentleman?
Being a perfect gentleman and gentlemanly behavior is not a fixed set of rules but a way of living. Being a gentleman is not something hard to do. To be a perfect gentleman, simply take on the right mindset and treat others with genuine respect, kindness, and consideration.
The mindset of a gentleman
Becoming a gentleman is not what you do; but how you think. Changing your mindset to think like a gentleman will help you build and cultivate gentlemanly behavior, positive relationships and navigate difficult situation with grace and dignity.
Here are some tips on how to cultivate the mindset of a gentleman
- Educate yourself by reading books, magazines, and websites that will cultivate gentlemanly behavior.
- Practice empathy by putting yourself in the place of others to help you better understand their perspective and feelings while showing genuine interest and concern for others.
- Act with integrity even when it’s hard. Be honest and always keep your word.
- Practice good manners at all times – be courteous, polite, and respectful. Never use foul language. Always open and hold doors, say please and thank you, and think of others before yourself.
- Be confident and self-assured. But never arrogant, boastful, or condescending.
How to dress like a gentleman?
Here is something that may be lost when talking about being a gentleman and implementing gentlemanly behavior. While being a perfect gentleman takes a certain mindset and courteous behavior, a gentleman also has a certain look about him that sets him apart from other men. To be a gentleman, you should look neat, stylish, and well-groomed. A gentleman is not a slave to fashion but wears clothing that is appropriate for the occasion and makes you feel confident.
Here are some tips for looking like a gentleman.
- Wear well-fitted clothing – do not wear clothing that is too tight, loose, or baggy.
- Pay attention to details – clean and press your clothing. Invest in a lint brush and iron and find a good tailor and dry cleaner.
- Dress for the occasion – a gentleman always dresses appropriately, no matter the occasion.
- Personal grooming – a gentleman is always well groomed. A gentleman will take care of his skin, keep his head and facial hair groomed, as well as make sure his nails are clean and trimmed.
|Check out my article, Men’s Business Attire for Today’s Man: The Ultimate Guide|
How does a gentleman treat a woman?
When it comes to being a gentleman, chivalry is not dead.
Women love to be treated with class. They love for men to open and hold doors for them to enter and exit a room, pull out their chair for them to sit, and open and close their car door. These are just a few acts of chivalry.
An all-important part of being a gentleman and demonstrating gentlemanly behavior is knowing how to treat a woman. A gentleman will always treat a woman with respect, kindness, gentleness, and consideration. A gentleman is never rude, offensive, condescending, patronizing, or abusive.
In their hit song, Treat Her Like A Lady, The Temptations sing,
“Now I like openin’ doors
Pickin’ up her hanky off the floor
Treat her like a lady
Even help her with her coat, help her out
Treat her like a lady“
“Compliment her on her hair
Even help her with her chair
Treat her like a lady
Now boy, you should remember
To be a gentleman”
As a man (a gentleman), you are showing your significant other, your daughters, and your sons how a gentleman should treat a woman.
When it comes to women, a gentleman is
- Trusting and trustworthy
- Being a gentleman is not only about following social norms and performing acts of chivalry, but it also involves developing manners and a mindset to inspire gentlemanly behavior.
- To be a perfect gentleman, simply takes the right mindset and treat others with genuine respect, kindness, and consideration.
- Changing your mindset to think like a gentleman will help you build and cultivate positive relationships and navigate difficult situations with grace and dignity.
Let us know your thoughts on what qualities make a gentleman.